Author: Balance n Heal
The Happiness Trap definition of Mindfulness
What is Mindfulness?
‘Mindfulness’ is a hot topic in Western psychology: increasingly recognised as an effective way to reduce stress, increase self-awareness, enhance emotional intelligence, and effectively handle painful thoughts and feelings.
Mindfulness is an ancient practice found in a wide range of Eastern philosophies, including Buddhism, Taoism and Yoga. It involves consciously bringing awareness to your here-and-now experience with openness, interest, and receptiveness. Jon Kabat-Zinn, a world authority on the use of mindfulness training in the management of clinical problems, defines it as: “Paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.”
Mindfulness is about waking up, connecting with ourselves, and appreciating the fullness of each moment of life. Kabat-Zinn calls it, “The art of conscious living.” It is a profound way to enhance psychological and emotional resilience, and increase life satisfaction.
Meditation and mindfulness isn’t just for mystics – it’s for anyone and everyone, regardless of age, ability or experience!
- Developing a Meditation Routine, Journaling & Affirmations
- Progressive Relaxation
- Guided Meditation &Visualisation,
- Observing the Breath
- Movement meditation and more
She came into the door with infused with sunshine.
“Mum, what’s something that represents you?” she asked. “Like a song, or an animal or a plant … anything.”
OK I say excited, Its a tree, “Mine’s a sloth.” she says
Over the next hour she told us about a video they had watched in assembly soul pancake, “kid President”. It wasn’t about performance, but purpose. As she showed me clip after clip, she said here is the best one Mum, this ones about Mums.
It went on to say we as mums should appreciate ourselves and not compare ourselves to other mums in the school yard or his/her friends mums. We shouldn’t beat ourselves up about our children attending the most dance classes or playing the most sports, or winning the most sporting accolades, or going to the lasted fitness classes or being a super mum. This is what we are trying to teach our kids not to do and here we are doing just that!
I watched her — animated, engaged and delivering a teen-perfect parody of a motivational speaker — I realised how much we focus on what our kids do, not who they are. Indeed, how much we judge everyone — including ourselves — on tasks accomplished rather than vision or ideas or character.
We become an antidote to school reports and trophies and certificates for excellence and achievement.
Purpose, passion and vision have become buzzwords of this new era where we try to live lives that resonate with our values. But largely they’re delivered in sports changing rooms or offices or at team building workshops when the boss is trying to raise morale.
But what if we got in and asked kids to consider these issues earlier. Instead of asking them what they want to do when they grow up let’s ask them what genuinely matters to them, what makes them excited and what they might awaken if they really know who they are.
What would it be like to be surrounded by a community who supported one another to embrace imperfection and practice authentic values?
“It’s actually our ability to embrace imperfection that will help us teach our children to have the courage to be authentic, the compassion to love themselves and others, and the sense of connection that gives true purpose and meaning to life” says Brene Brown
My darling know how awesome you are. All of the changes going on inside you are steering you in the direction of something amazing. Things won’t always go to plan, and some days will be awful. As long as you’re making the best decisions you can to stay safe, you’ll look back on these times and you’ll laugh. The mistakes, the falls, the embarrassing moments – one day those stories will be gold.
And finally …
All new skills take time to master. It’s no different for our children. In the meantime, they might wobble. A lot. So will we. We are learning to see them in a different light.
Raising Great Parents
and continuing to become a Unique and fabulous teenager
Often during adolescence, the changes that are bought about can bring a sense of bewildered confusion. You’ll experience developmental bouncing and shift behaviour patterns quite quickly.
Though hormones play a role, the main thing driving behaviour is the massive brain changes you’re going through. The things that can send you into a tailspin are actually a really normal, healthy part of adolescence and an important part of the adventure you’re on to figure out who you are and where you fit in to the world.
COMMUNICATIONS IS TO RELATIONSHIPS WHAT BREATH IS TO LIFE.
We already see you as whole, free, inherently wise and beautiful. Each moment comes to us filled with gifts, marvels adventures and opportunities, of which we see or accept merely a tiny portion of the editing possibilities surrounding us.
- Correct me if Im wrong, but I understand you don’t want to disconnect from us, you are having some brilliant highs and some excruciating lows, and sometimes we get caught in the cross fire. We endeavour to see things through your eyes as much as we can, we too want to keep our relationship with you strong. Fight or flight responses can be triggered really easily and either one of us may yell, shout, say awful things (fight) or shut down to one another (flight) – see document. We hate this just as much as you and we don’t want to disconnect either. You matter to us.
- The push and pull. We wont always agree with one another but a promise to take the time out to understand each other is a high priority. Your creative brain is sparking like never before and you are thinking about the world in different ways and experimenting with who you are and where you fit in. As a healthy normal part of that we’’l question you and you will us, don’t shut us down, remember we want to hear what you have to say, but we all need to be respectful while we say it. Either of us may forget this but its what we have to say thats really important.
- No I told you so’s. They are so yesterday. We are all learning here and were all going to make mistakes, thats how we learn, if we are shamed for the fall, we are all kept from the lessons. We can’t turn back time and change what happened, but we can learn from it and together figure it out and uncover the lesson. We will listen with patience, support and wisdom and share your journey as you get ready for life.
- Its ok not to have it all figured out. Be patient and kind to yourself. Moods go up and moods come down, its a roller coaster ride. When you want more time on your own or more private headspace, it’s a sign that you’re maturing and becoming more independent. This can be a healthy part of adolescence, although you’ll still needs supervision and support.
- Your friends are important. Moving toward them doesn’t mean your rejecting us. We humans love groups, its how we feel safest and strongest and its been that way for thousands of years. Up to now we have been your strongest group. We are wired to be in packs, respect your friends, treat your friends just how you would like them to treat you. Adolescence can spark a quest for popularity at any cost. Try to move beyond this ideal. It can be good insurance to have a second group of friends separate form school friends. Apart from protection if you have a falling out with school friends it can be rejuvenating to be able to step away from any school yard issues. Know that you can always come to us if the group doesn’t feel good to be around or are leading each other astray. Friendships Id like to create or deepen would look like?
- You’re experimenting with being an adult, so its important for us no to treat you like kids. The developmental bouncing can be really confusing for you at times, feeling like you’re older one day and wanting to younger the next. If we are clear on family values, rules and expectations it helps to maintain a clear, consistent and calm household. Just as you have expectations of us, we do of you, Our high expectations or your contributions toward family life are our way to help promote your resilience and self belief.
- We understand that you need to find out who you are. You’ll take in more of your wisdom when we’re loving you than when we’re lecturing, criticising or judging you. It can feel like it’s all on your terms, and for a while it might be. We know you need to know you are able to stand without us. Neither of us know what that looks like and sometimes you’ll go too far. We get that you don’t mean to hurt us or make us feel as though we matter. Sometimes this adolescence thing feels bad for us too. We want you to be strongly individual and unique and preset this whilst being able to work with others without being dictated to by them.
- We will keep our respect and trust for you. We will always believe in you. We will try to always be consistent. Lets preserve our relationship.
- It may not always go right, nobody ever got into trouble because they had too much information. Talking to us about things is much more productive than us lecturing about the rules. Yes, you’ll do risky things sometimes. You’ll really push against the edges of ourselves. Sometimes you’ll reach full flight, and sometimes you’ll fall out of the sky with a thud. We’ll want to lecture you, but we’ll lose you if we do. We’ll try to let it be easy for you to come to us, and listen to you, we’ll try not to preach to you. You know you can come to us with anything. we know your trying to find your way.
We love you. We seriously love you. Adolescence is complicated and there will be plenty of bumps along the way. Probably some yelling, tears and feisty words too. Know that its all part of what we have to do together to find our way through.
How better can we help you thrive this year?
What are some family adventures you’d like to have?
What is something we could create together?
If you were to ask yourself not who you are, but who you want to be, REALLY. Not who you are as the student, daughter/son, dancer, footballer. But who is the person behind all this, the person you would like to be.
is it: Kind, strong minded, unique, authentic, compassionate, warm hearted, generosity, competitiveness, family, happiness, self respect, gratitude, wealth, knowledge, freedom, faith, religion, community, integrity, creativity, recognition, achievement, power, friendship, leadership, affection, economic security, adventure, love, health, inner harmony.
What are your 10 highest values
Beside each value, write a few words to define it for yourself
Its time to dream a new dream. Time to create an incredible year for yourself, your world, your life, the world.
THOUGHT. WORD. ACTION.
That’s how change happens.
You are getting braver, deeper, wiser, more beautiful by the moment, by the day, by the year.
Aim for the moon, if you miss, you’ll land on a star
If you aim at nothing, you’ll hit it everytime.
Which one do you choose?
First though, lets give gratitude for the year that was. What are you grateful in your life from 2015?
I am proud of yourself for?
In 2015 I discovered __________ about myself?
I am happy because of?
Even though it was really hard to go through, I learned a lot from?
The area I felt were hard and challenging were?
I know myself more now because of?
What beautiful lessons did I learn in 2015?
What dreams came true in 2015?
When you look back on 2015, what do you think of?
I am grateful and thankful for all that was in the past, for the lessons Ive leant, the connections Ive made, the values Ive shown and for the places Ive seen. Make this a conscious list, add pictures, drawings and anything you can think of.
What Id like to learn in 2016?
This year I promise myself I will?
This year Id like to release?
This year I want to feel?
What is important to you?
Who and what are you inspired by?
What are some of your natural gifts and abilities?
What is unique about you?
I choose strength. I choose laughter. I choose courage.
Create your ideal day
BALANCE Living Insights
Loving Life – My Way
What if you could have it all?
What if you lived your life deliberately
What if you were to choose how your life played out
It’s finally here – The magic will unfold over the next 7 insights
It’s time to see just what’s possible when you take a deep breath and choose to move forward into your truth with courage and self-belief.
7 insights are designed for women all over, who dream of life overflowing with limitless passion, wellbeing, expansion and celebrating your creation.
Bring back your sparkle. Expand yourself and move out of your own way, we are going on a journey together which will blow your mind. Yes, there are sacrifices and yes there is effort, but they are the old ways that were are leaving behind, the limiting beliefs about ourselves and the constraints that hold us back from being in our “amazing” each and every day. As you are liberated from your constraints and limitation
1.Believe and Be Clear about your intentions.s you will begin to live deliberately in your new creation, with your sparkle and your passion ignited. Your new paradigms and tools will be part of your everyday life, and so this will be the way it is, really!!
Lets get creating your goal. Take the time to discover your true passions, drivers and goals. We need to begin by being deliberate in our intentions and put some time into creating your vision. Make sure you can measure the results. If the goal is vague or has instructions such as ‘take initiative’, it isn’t motivating or measurable and you may not even know you’ve achieved it.
To get you thinking try answering these questions. What drives you? What do you do for Pleasure and fun? Things you are great at? Things you like having? Places you feel great? People you love being with? Things I no longer want in my life? Things that are holding me back? Things that make you feel proud? Things that inspire and motivate you? Things you love working on? Things that make you laugh? Things you get excited about?
Think about how the success of your goal should be measured and how the outcome will make you feel. Will you feel excited, challenged or motivated. If it’s not something you feel strongly about you might need to clarify it further or even change it.
2. Accept and Acknowledge the challenges which may confront you. Don’t buy into your fears or limitations, simply acknowledge, write them down and create an action plan for what will happen if these challenges come up. For example if you believe lack of time may come up, you need to ensure you create some flexibility in your schedule to allow the goal or intention you’ve created to come to life. If your intention is fitness related and your fears are being at the gym, maybe schedule workout dates with friends or a personal trainer. Remember to be specific and realistic
3. Lay it out – Create a clear and concise plan of action. Map your intentions and bring your plan to life. Consider putting your goal into a mission statement to add clarity, or create a vision board or treasure map with pictures or photos to help visualise your intention. Do your goals require long term or short term planning?
The passion or goal I am deliberately bringing into my life is
The steps I need to take to make this become real are:
The timeframe for each step will be
The measurable milestone results are:
I will see my new vision unfold on or before date
4. Align your thoughts Commit to mindfulness. Do what really matters, plan mindfully and don’t overcommit. This step can bring up some discomfort, because we are making the conscious decision to make a change. Create some time in your day to meditate or visualise your goal become real. Behave like someone who has this passion or goal in their life every day and begin to be that person.
5. No Playing small – Respond rather than React – This requires courage, self examination and willingness to deal with fears or emotions which may come. When we react, it comes across as defensive behaviour, we become uncomfortable and we are on alert. Responding is more thoughtful and contains reasoning, it is guided by logic more so than emotion.
Now, step out of your comfort zone and stretch to the next level.
6. EleCtrify your sparkle – Restore yourself. A fulfilled and limitless lifestyle requires a nurtured and flexible body mind and soul. Try your hand at yoga, meditation or take that ever longed for art class. Surround yourself with likeminded people who want the best for you, become inspired and inspirational. Get out and nourish your soul.
Engage -Feed the Hunger for living – squeeze the most out of your exhilaration and give life to your new creation.
Realise your Awesomeness
Live it, breathe it, LOVE IT
Once you begin living deliberately, you will need to seek feedback, find out what your strengths are and if necessary find a coach who can support you in this process.
yours in transformation
Phone: 0421 9570 75
My 5 Favourite Skin Fixers
Skin problems and acne spark some very interesting discussion, which brings me here today. I’m keen to share my 5 best skin fixers.
Cleanse from the inside out
Its crazy that our skin is the largest organ we have yet the most neglected. Toxins, which the body can’t deal with are pushed out via the skin, bowels or the mouth. Our gut and skin health is so very connected. Imbalances like acne, dermatitis, rashes eczema, psoriasis, and alike, naturally my first point of call is the gut health. A good probiotic and a hearty beef and vegetable soup which contains quality collagen for lining repair will help to nourish and support good digestion. If your mouth and cheeks are the problem areas, it’s a little clue into your gut health being your issue.
Skin conditions can be a result of intense inflammation and poor diet. Inflammatory foods just like gluten, sugar and dairy can play hard ball with our insides and really wear away good gut flora. You might like to pick one of these trigger foods and remove it. Gluten, for example is super hard to digest and can lead to a plethora of problems. Cut it out for a few weeks as a starting point and see.
When acne presents along the neck, back and jawline it can be a result of unhappy Hormones. These ones are usually bigger than the facial kind, and can be you clue to getting onto rebalancing your hormones. Generally I find in girls it’s triggered by an oestrogen dominance. Try avoiding high levels of hormone in animal meat, photo oestrogen’s in soy products, chemicals and beauty products. Increasing your magnesium rich foods can also assist in rebalancing oestrogen. Some other signs of oestrogen dominance might be: heavy, painful or clotty periods, ovulation pain or PMT. Depression, mood swings and weight gain can show up when the oestrogen overbears the progesterone. Its all in the BALANCE. Progesterone has a target role in heightening our happy mood.
Unleash your Rhythm
Sometimes life gets a little crazy, lack of sleep, flying or that little window before your period, can knock you for six. Learn to understand your body and notice the times when you might need to a a bit more mindful of your water intake and top notch nutrition. Take a little time out for yourself and fill your energy bucket. A relaxing night with a good cup of Herbal tea can work wonders for getting back on track.
When life gives you Lemons
If your poor skin is a result of toxic build up instead of hormonal imbalance, invest in a good cleanse. A cleanse is about eating easily digested foods, it doesn’t need to be harsh and drastic. My favourite morning routine is a big glass of water with half a lemon squeezed into it, 15 minutes before breakfast. So when life gives you lemons. Cleanse your insides and Eat them!!
Yes! There are so many fixers when it comes to clearing up your skin. I’d love to hear your best ‘fixers’ and even your worst! It’s all about finding out what works for you and why??
Canada is considered to be an “advanced safety country” where workplace safety is entrenched. “Advanced safety” countries have an intricate system of regulations and enforcement designed to compel companies to provide safe workplaces and workers who are knowledgeable and know their rights. Tradies have among the highest number of injuries, musculoskeletal conditions and other health and safety risks of any profession. Work related injuries, by industry show that Construction workers have the highest rate at 24.5%, per 1,000 workers.
Osteopaths play a critical role in providing early healthcare intervention support–through diagnosing, treating, and preventing disease and disability through physical means. Working in partnership with their patients, osteopaths can help recovery from injury, reduce pain and stiffness, and increase mobility, and also prevent further injury.
How Can Osteopathy Help?
Osteopaths are experts in human movement. They understand how your muscles, bones, joints and ligaments work and how injuries happen. Osteopaths are able to help get you back to work faster. Osteopaths can:
- Assess your muscle strength, flexibility and fitness to design an appropriate fitness program
- Teach you how to better handle loads, to move more efficiently and safely
- Teach you how to engage your trunk core stabilisers when performing a task
- Show you how to prevent injury in your home or workplace
- Treat muscle, joint and ligament injuries to assist with a successful recovery
They may use:
- Joint mobilisation & manipulation
- Electrotherapy e.g. ultrasound TENS
- Massage and mobilisation to increase flexibility and range of movement directed towards soft-tissue structures, articular structures and neural tissue
- Dry needling
- Muscle energy techniques
- Activity modification advice
- Biomechanical correction
- Postural assessment, correction and advice
- Ergonomic advice regarding work role modifications, if required
- Exercises to improve flexibility, strength, posture and core stability
- Use of a sacroiliac belt or lumbar brace
- Use of a lumbar roll for sitting
- A gradual return to activity program
Early intervention and treatment through osteopathy and the promotion of preventative health and wellbeing can prolong working careers and improve general wellbeing for any worker in the trade industry.
Structure and routine are important. But you also might get stuck in a rut. And that means you’re not growing, taking certain risks can be healthy and rewarding. Challenge yourself to take a risk each day, whether it’s talking to someone new, asserting yourself, trusting someone, dancing, setting a tough workout goal or anything that pushes you out of your comfort zone.
Did you know that the average person walks up to 10,000 steps a day, covering 120,000 kilometres in a lifetime? It is no surprise that most people experience foot pain in their lifetime!
October is Foot Health Month in Australia, it is an opportunity for practitioners all across the country to raise awareness about the crucial role their profession plays in making and keeping people well.
We are so dependent on our feet, but they are often neglected, feet, ankles and legs bear the brunt of your body weight and are used constantly through walking and standing. It’s pretty hard to just put them out of service while you ignore the pain.
Prevention is better than cure and correct alignment is the foundation of good health for all ages.
- Do you have pain in your feet?
- Are you on your feet all day?
- Do you have skin or nail problems (ingrown or discoloured toenails, corns, skin rashes, areas of hard skin) on your feet?
- Do you have any sores on your feet that are not healing?
- Do you have foot odour?
- Do you have a foot injury?
- Do you have health problems such as diabetes or arthritis?
- Do you have numbness, tingling or burning in your feet?
- Do your feet have poor circulation – are they unusually pale, blue or red?
- Do you trip or fall often?
- Do you have problems finding shoes that fit comfortably?
- Do you have lumps or bumps, bunions or misshapen toes?
- Do you regularly wear heels that are 5 cm (2 inches) or higher?
It is extra important that you take care of your feet so any signs of trouble should be checked on sooner rather than later.